December 17, 2007

All I Want for Christmas is to Get Superpoked?

People who know me as a computer guy know that I'm not a huge fan of social networking sites. I HATE MySpace and I've hated since I first heard of it in 2003 or 04. Yet, I have a MySpace page. Why? because my friends in Medina Sod had a page and I felt compelled to represent. To this day I think they're still my only friend on MySpace.

But I recently started playing with Facebook...Purely for research as I was constantly being asked to reference their UI and workflow for our MyFetch section on FetchDog. As much as I abhorred the concept, I found their interface well-built and their usability in some cases brilliant. But something happened between quietly poking around the site and accepting friend requests. I think I'm hooked. The ultimate turning point was when I started actively searching for people from my past. At that point, I was no longer a closet Facebooker. I'm that guy. That guy on Facebook. Now that I have the mobile app (embarassing), I'm REALLY that guy. That guy who writes on your wall and pokes you. I even superpoke on occasion. I'm taking movie quizzes and throwing Santas. I'm comparing taste in popular culture with people I barely know, and I've reconnected with people I haven't seen in 10 years. I still don't UNDERSTAND why I'm doing it, but for some reason I'm doing it. And it's the guiltiest of diversions. Sorry everyone.

No comments: